Check out this infographic that illustrates the most notable inventions and discoveries from each month of the year.
From the phonograph to the World Wide Web, there’s no shortage of technology advancements worth celebrating. Check out this infographic that illustrates the most notable inventions and discoveries from each month of the year.
Take a stroll down memory lane and discover when each of these ground-breaking, tech-related innovations and discoveries became a reality.
Months of the Year
- The first iPhone is unveiled by Steve Jobs on January 9, 2007. “Project Purple” as it was code named throughout production was the first smart phone to fully utilize the touch screen as well as run on a computer operating system.
- The phonograph is patented on February 19, 1878. This invention was the first of its kind to be able to record and reproduce sound.
- The first HDD is patented on March 11, 1970. Because of the hard disk drive, future storage services such as the cloud could become a reality
- The first laptop is released on April 3, 1981. While it may have only included a single sided, single density 64 KB floppy drive, the Osborne 1 revolutionized the possibilities for micro-computers.
- The first fiber optic is tested by AT&T on May 11, 1977. Without the invention of the low-loss optical fiber our “information superhighway” would not be possible.
- The first public color TV is demonstrated on June 27, 1929. From that point on and regardless of how large or small the device, the masses expected to view it in color.
- The Sony Walkman is released in Japan on July 1, 1979. The Walkman TPS-L2 forever changed the way people would listen to music on the go.
- The World Wide Web debuts on August 6, 1991. After months of strictly professional use Tim Berners-Lee opened up his invention to the public and transformed communication, as we know it.
- Genetic fingerprinting is discovered by Dr. Alec Jeffreys in September 1884.This remains our only unique identifier that cannot be altered or appear exactly as someone else’s.
- Sputnik, the first human-made satellite to orbit the earth, is launched by Russia on October 4, 1957. This milestone sparked the space race.
- The first CGI is used in movie “Westworld” on November 21, 1973. The first use of this was done to pixelate photography in order to capture a robot’s point of view.
- The first home security system is patented on December 2, 1969 by Marie Brown. This gave homes a new level of security never before available to the populous.
This article was originally posted on Mozy.com.